Designed by famous architect Joseph Paxton, London Road Cemetery is an early example of the 19th century ‘garden cemetery’ movement, developed not only as a burial site but also as place of natural beauty for the people of Coventry to enjoy. Appointed in 1845, Paxton incorporated the hilly layout of the former quarry the site sits on into his design, and brought in a range of exotic trees from abroad. He also commissioned two chapels: a Nonconformist chapel designed to look like a classical temple and an Anglican Chapel in a Norman style.
Those buried in the cemetery include most of the city’s Victorian pioneers of transport, especially in the emerging bicycle and car industries. There are also many fine monuments, including one at the main entrance dedicated to Joseph Paxton himself, which was designed by Joseph Goddard.
Thanks to National Lottery players, Historic Coventry Trust and Coventry City Council have completed a restoration project in the cemetery funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the National Lottery Community Fund. The Anglican Chapel, the raised promenade and the old cemetery entrance have all been restored and new interpretation has been installed to tell the stories of site’s residents and natural heritage.
In 2022, initial repair works are taking place to the nonconformist chapel (funded by Historic England), in-advance of works to find a new use for this special building.
Sat Nav Destination: CV1 2JT
Visitors arriving by car should park in the Charterhouse car park and enter the cemetery through the carriageway entrance.
To contact the team at Historic Coventry Trust please fill in the contact form below.